Sunday, July 9, 2023

Missing George Michael

I woke up a short while ago after a good night’s sleep. I have nothing specific planned yet for today. I just hope I can spend my Sunday in a constructive way.

Yesterday afternoon, I went to the hair salon, where I had my hair cut and bleached. Initially, I was planning to dye my hair also, but due to the fact that my scalp smarted too much during the bleach, the hairdresser recommended that I wait another week before dyeing my hair to give my scalp a rest. I agreed with him and left it at that. Consequently, my hair looks completely blond now.

I have no idea why my scalp smarted so much yesterday, since it didn’t smart at all the previous time. The hairdresser used the same bleaching agent as before, so it must be my own sensitivity that has changed. I can only surmise that my scalp smarted badly yesterday because I was still recovering from the cold I had. I hope it won’t smart so much the next time I do it.

Afterward, I headed to Chinatown Point wanting to have a coffee at Starbucks, but it was too crowded so I gave it up. I took the subway to Bugis and went to the gym for a workout. This time, I walked on the treadmill for 50 minutes and lifted some weights. 

Incidentally, I watched another episode of “Glamorous” on Netflix during my cardio exercise. Unfortunately, I’m getting a bit tired of the storyline, and I’m not sure if I can finish watching the entire season, of which I have four more episodes to go. Since I’ve already watched enough episodes, maybe I should cut my losses and move on to another series, as there is a plethora of great shows to watch on Netflix.

Still on the topic of Netflix, I watched the documentary “Wham!” last night, about the eponymous British pop duo that blasted onto the music scene in the early 1980’s and stayed incredibly popular for years. This film recounts how the duo got started and persevered through their numerous trials and errors before finally achieving great fame. It also documented how the unit disbanded in 1986 at the height of their popularity.

Without a doubt, George Michael’s exceptional talent played a big role in producing their hits, but Andrew Ridgeley was also instrumental in forming their musical style, especially in their earlier years. As a big fan of George Michael, I couldn’t watch the film without feeling a tinge of wistfulness and sadness, especially in the bits where George recounted his struggles with his sexuality. He occupies a special place in my heart, and I will always miss him greatly.

No comments: