Thursday, November 2, 2023

Watched House of Cards Again

Yesterday evening after work, I headed to the Starbucks at the Bugis Junction shopping mall near my apartment, where I studied some English.

As usual, I transcribed my previous journal entry into my notebook by hand. What I transcribe is not my original writing, but the version that’s been proofread by ChatGPT using natural English. This act of transcribing by hand enables me to identify areas for improvement in my own writing far more effectively than if I just glanced through the proofread version.


When I am done transcribing, I commit all amendments to memory by reading the proofread version a few more times. I stop only when I can reproduce the proofread version perfectly by merely looking at my original version. The whole process takes me at least an hour.


Afterward, I went upstairs to the gym and had a workout. It had been a while since my previous gym visit, so I avoided any strenuous workout for fear that my body wouldn’t be able to cope. I walked on the treadmill while watching an episode of House of Cards, a Netflix show.


Speaking of which, for me personally, House of Cards is a great show with which to study spoken English. Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright, who play the two central characters, speak with remarkable enunciation that can serve as a model for my own speech. I’m currently watching Season 3, so I still have a long way to go before I finish.

No comments: