Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Practicing Both Accents Now

It was a relatively uneventful day at the office yesterday, which is actually a good thing. It probably has to do with the fact that all three of us who handle our clients’ orders are back at work. I was able to perform my tasks at a calm pace without feeling stressed, which felt fantastic for a change.

During lunch break, I went home to prepare dinner for the upcoming two days. This time, I chose pork, ginger, garlic, mushroom, black fungus, and a Chinese vegetable that I don’t know the name of as the ingredients. I cut them into thin slices and stored them in the fridge.


When I came back in the evening, I stir-fried them together in a frying pan. Typically, I cook my meat and vegetables on a low heat, as I previously learned in a book that heating food at low temperatures for an extended period of time allows the flavors of the ingredients to fully come out.


As expected, yesterday’s dinner turned out delicious, and what’s more, I’m going to cook the exact same dish again tonight. Although my repertoire is still very limited, I’m proud to say that my cooking skills have been improving slowly but surely.


Yesterday evening after work, I stopped by The Coffee Bean near the office to study some English. I reviewed my previous journal entry and compared it to the proofread versions in American and British English generated by ChatGPT.


I not only copied my preferred proofread version into my notebook, but also practiced reading the different versions aloud using both American and British accents. Since I’m less experienced with a British accent compared to American, I searched for sample sound clips on the YouGlish website whenever I felt uncertain about how to pronounce certain words and phrases in British English.


When I was having my English lesson last night after dinner, my Canadian teacher, Sean, commended me for the improvement I’ve made in my British accent. It was hugely encouraging. My pronunciation practice is obviously paying off, and I’d like to continue perfecting both accents.


No comments: