Saturday, March 23, 2024

Reading "Just Keep Buying" Now

 

This morning, I woke up naturally around 8 a.m. without needing the alarm. Typically, on Friday evenings, I have a tendency to stay up late, mostly watching YouTube videos in a leisurely way, but last night, I took the precaution of going to bed around midnight because I had to get up early enough to make it to my hairstylist appointment at 10 a.m. today.


After having my morning coffee at my apartment, I walked to the hair salon instead of taking the bus. It took me around 30 minutes, and I reached there just in time for my appointment. It was a pleasant walk, but the weather was rather hot, and I perspired quite a bit on the way. It was a good thing that I had put on the sunblock before leaving home. This time, in addition to a haircut, I had my hair dyed dark green, my favorite color.


I was expecting to spend around two hours at the salon, but the entire process only took around an hour, freeing up an extra hour for me. So, I headed over to the Starbucks in the nearby shopping mall to relax. Although the coffee shop was somewhat crowded today, I managed to find a table and sat down to do some reading over a cup of latte.


The book I am currently reading is titled Just Keep Buying: Proven Ways to Save Money and Build Your Wealth, authored by Nick Maggiulli. This book is about how you can efficiently save and invest your money in preparation for your retirement. 


The most intriguing part of this book is what the author thinks about buying a house as opposed to renting, as a means of growing your wealth. He doesn’t give a definitive answer as to which is the better option, as the soundness of a real estate investment depends on market conditions and your specific financial situation.


Whether you are buying a house or renting, each option comes with its pros and cons. In view of my current situation and the recent high interest rate environment, I am tentatively leaning in favor of renting, but I’d really like to buy my own place one day, because I want a slightly bigger space for myself.


By the way, I am reading the Japanese version of this book. I bought it last year at a bookstore in Japan during my vacation. As I haven’t read the original version in English, I can’t comment on how good the translation is, but in terms of its readability, it’s written in natural Japanese and in a style that’s straightforward and easy to understand, so I believe that the translator must be very skillful.


Overall, it’s an enjoyable read, so it shouldn’t take me too long to finish it. I’m curious to find out what other interesting tips the author presents in the remainder of this book.

No comments: