Monday, February 26, 2024

Enjoying Hong Kong Now


Last Saturday morning, I took a Cathay Pacific flight from Singapore to Hong Kong for a four-day vacation. Today is already Day 3 of my stay, and I am enjoying myself immensely here, like I normally do whenever I visit this former British colony.


Yesterday, I went to Peng Chau Island by ferry for a little excursion. I got there early in the afternoon, and explored pretty much the entire island within two hours. It had some nice hiking trails through lush green hills and beautiful beaches with clear, turquoise blue water. The tracks were neatly paved and easy to walk on, which made my journey around the island a pleasant experience. 


However, besides beautiful nature, the island didn’t have much to offer by way of enticing cafes and eateries or attractive souvenir shops, and there were no hotels. I found myself a bit bored toward the end of my stay and felt relieved when my ferry back to Hong Kong Island finally departed from the Peng Chau Island Piers at 5 p.m.


After returning to downtown Hong Kong, I headed to Causeway Bay to visit Perfume River Vietnamese Restaurant, one of my favorite dining establishments in town. I had beef curry with steamed rice and spring rolls for dinner. As expected, the beef was extremely tender and blended nicely with curry, and the spring rolls were pleasantly crunchy. I will certainly revisit the place on my next trip here.


By the way, compared to my previous visits, I’ve noticed that there are much fewer visitors from Mainland China. I’ve read in a news article that it’s due to the fact that the Chinese economy is not doing well these days. The unfavorable exchange rate of the Chinese Renminbi against the Hong Kong Dollar, which is pegged to the mighty US Dollar, isn’t helping matters for Mainlanders either.


The same article also mentioned that there is now a reverse flow of people, with more Hong Kongers visiting the neighboring Chinese city of Shenzhen for cheap shopping and dining experiences than the other way around. 


I’ve visited Shenzhen three times before. To be perfectly honest, it felt like a boring city that lacked the beauty and allure of Hong Kong, but it could be because I didn’t know my way around Shenzhen and ended up visiting only boring places. The next time I travel to Shenzhen, I should really plan ahead and go to more cool and fun places.

No comments: