Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Switching My Subscriptions

Yesterday evening, after work, I met up with my friend Joseph for dinner at a casual Italian restaurant in Chinatown. I used to meet Joseph frequently for coffee on Sunday mornings when I went to the Chinatown Point shopping complex to buy groceries. Recently, however, I’ve been going to other places for grocery shopping, and thus our Sunday meet-ups have tapered off. It was nice to catch up with him after a long while.

Joseph and I always have numerous things to talk about whenever we meet. Yesterday was no exception, and we talked about our jobs, mutual friends, dating situation, the latest movies to watch, among others. I told him about “Painkiller, ” the latest Netflix show that I watched and enjoyed. Unlike me, he doesn’t have a Netflix subscription, so he’s been watching something else online.


Speaking of Netflix, after I got home from dinner, I screwed up enough courage to hit the “Cancel Membership” button, after watching it for years on end. It’s not that I don’t like Netflix - actually it’s quite the opposite, as I always manage to find good shows to watch on this streaming platform.


The reason for the cancellation is that I want to try watching HBO or some other streaming service for a change, and I don’t want my two subscriptions running simultaneously when I clearly don’t have the time to watch them both. My Netflix subscription ends when the current billing cycle runs out on September 16 and I will sign up with HBO right after that. If I don’t like the shows there, I will come back to Netflix unhesitatingly.


Aside from Netflix, last night I also unsubscribed from the Washington Post, of which I have been a reader for many years. It’s a great newspaper, but I find myself reading the New York Times more often, so I decided to cancel it. Instead, I signed up with Nikkei, a Japanese newspaper with a focus on economics- and finance-related news. Coming at around SGD 45 per month, Nikkei’s subscription fee is a bit costly, but I will try to get my money’s worth by reading it diligently.

No comments: