Saturday, August 19, 2023

Should I Go for American or British English?

Although it was Friday yesterday, I didn’t have anyone to hang out with last night, so after work, I headed to The Coffee Bean to study English and do some reading.

My English studies are mainly centered around journal writing, where I first write my original journal entry and then have it rewritten by ChatGPT in both American and British English. While my preference is the American version and use it more often to identify areas for improvement in my written English, I do observe the corrections that are made by the British version as well. More often than not, I get to make interesting discoveries by comparing the two regional variations of English.


After reading through the corrected versions generated by ChatGPT, I usually transcribe the American version into my diary by hand. However, yesterday, I deviated from my usual practice - instead of entirely adopting the American version, I also borrowed certain segments from the British version, where I thought the writing was clearer and better, resulting in a blended best-of-both-worlds version of English.


In the course of using ChatGPT for proofreading my written English, and with the help of my online English teacher, Sean, I’ve come to discover that while being an extremely powerful tool for language learning, ChatGPT still isn’t perfect. It can occasionally generate sentences that are rather flawed, like repeating the same word twice in places that are too close together, or deviating from my originally intended meaning.


In this regard, instead of adopting one proofread version of English unquestioningly, I suppose it’s safer to compare two versions and pick and choose the better written English for each segment. The final product will undoubtedly be a neutral variation of English that can be easily understood globally, which might really be the kind of written English that I should embrace and emulate.

No comments: