Sunday, July 23, 2023

Watched Anatomy of a Scandal on Netflix

Yesterday afternoon, I took the subway to the Redhill area to have a look at the neighborhood in preparation for my upcoming home purchase. This area was recommended to me by my friend, since it’s a relatively short distance away from the Singapore CBD.

I walked around the HDB blocks near the MRT station. The buildings looked of decent quality, but I found that it’s not a convenient area for shopping. There was only one supermarket nearby, and no Starbucks or CBTL outlets which could be my regular haunts. I guess I need to keep looking for a neighborhood that really suits my needs.


In the evening, I continued watching the Netflix series “Anatomy of a Scandal,” all the way until the final episode. This show is about a UK cabinet minister who gets charged with a rape accusation from one of his subordinates. It portrays the proceedings of the criminal trial, interspersed with flashbacks of the minister’s dark episodes in his college years, during which he met the woman who would become his wife. It was a fascinating story, and I’m really glad I watched it.


Netflix is filled with interesting shows, to the point where I can almost randomly select a series and end up finding it of decent enough quality. I believe it’s the same with other streaming services like HBO and Disney+. 


It’s only my guess, but I think that artificial intelligence like ChatGPT is used extensively in coming up with a storyline that grabs the viewer’s attention within minutes and keeps them watching episode after episode. It’s one of the reasons behind the current Hollywood strike involving writers and actors.


While I can understand why they feel threatened by AI, I think they’re putting up a futile resistance, since leveraging modern technology only makes economic sense. Instead, we need to embrace it and focus on areas where humans can truly excel in comparison with robots and machines.

No comments: