Sunday, April 14, 2024

Watched "18x2 Beyond Youthful Days"


I have a busy day planned for today. First, I need to write this journal entry and have it proofread by ChatGPT in preparation for my online English lesson on Tuesday; then, I need to go to Farrer Park for grocery shopping for the upcoming week. In the afternoon, I am going to the nearby cinema to catch “Article 20,” the latest film directed by Zhang Yimou, one of my favorite directors; after that, I am going to the gym across the street for a one-hour workout. When it’s done, I’ll finally come home to cook dinner.


Speaking of films, last night I went to the movie theater in my neighborhood and watched “18x2 Beyond Youthful Days,” a Japanese-Taiwanese co-production directed by Michihito Fujii. This is a love story between Ami, a young Japanese female backpacker in Taiwan, and Jimmy, a Taiwanese boy whom she meets locally. It depicts their encounter, their interactions during Ami’s short stay in Taiwan, and Jimmy’s railway journey in Japan 18 years later where he reminisces about their fleeting but happy days together.





As this film opened only a few days ago, I can’t give any spoilers in this journal entry, but I can say that it was enjoyable and worth watching. The dialogues were in Japanese and Mandarin, both of which I speak and understand, affording me a deeper level of appreciation for this touching story.


Due to historical reasons, I feel that Japan and Taiwan share many commonalities in terms of culture and the general ways in which people think and behave, in a way that feels much closer than the relationship between Japan and Mainland China.


Many Taiwanese grow up reading Japanese comic books and watching Japanese cartoons and television series; Japan is also their favorite travel destination, where they enjoy exquisite local food, well-maintained cultural sites, and spectacular nature. Both peoples savor each other’s cuisines, which tend to be more lightly yet subtly flavored compared to food from other Asian countries, like Mainland China or Korea.


I traveled to Taipei on a company trip last October and enjoyed myself to the utmost. Given my very short stay in the city, I focused on visiting local bookstores, one of my favorite things to do wherever I travel. I ended up buying a few Japanese comic books translated into Chinese. As I’m focusing on learning French now, I still haven’t gotten around to opening them. However, whenever I get tired of French and feel like a change of pace, I’ll definitely binge-read those beautifully drawn comic books and get my fill of the Chinese language.




No comments: