Sunday, January 21, 2024

AJATT is Not For Me

Yesterday was sort of my “English day,” so I studied quite a bit of English and no French at all. I started my day with writing a journal entry in English, then had it proofread by ChatGPT, and finally transcribed the proofread version into my diary, like I customarily do. The entire process took me around three to four hours, so it was definitely a solid amount of studying.

As per my diary, I began to use ChatGPT for language learning purposes on April 20 of last year, so it’s been exactly nine months that I’ve been studying English through journal writing with the aid of this chatbot. Ever since, my English has undergone a substantial transformation, as manifested by my enhanced fluency in both written and spoken English.


I’m convinced that this is by far the most effective method to improve my command of the language, so I’m determined to keep up the practice, despite the fact I can only write journal entries on weekends due to time constraints.


Other than writing my journal entry, yesterday I watched a bunch of YouTube videos in English, most of which were related to language learning. There is a community of YouTubers who are particularly into learning foreign languages through the immersion method. 


The typical examples are the AJATTers, who aim to teach themselves Japanese to an extremely advanced level within a very short period (two to three years at most) by immersing themselves in an environment known as AJATT, the acronym for All Japanese All The Time.


The so-called founder of this method is a guy named Khatzumoto. He’s sort of a mysterious character and not much is known about him, but apparently he taught himself Japanese to a near-native level by using some insanely intensive methods.


These include making full use of flashcard apps like ANKI to memorize numerous words at frequent intervals, and creating an environment where he can listen to Japanese 24/7 - literally all the time, even during sleep, whether it’s through YouTube, radio, or television.


Although currently I’m learning French, as a working professional I can’t adopt as drastic and extreme a method as AJATT, but I do tend to agree that in order to learn a foreign language to a high degree of proficiency, you need to have a one-track mind and dedicate your free time exclusively to the studies of that language.


With French, I’m willing to do exactly that, by diving into my dictionary whenever I get some free time, like during lunch break and in the evening after work. Until I reach the end of this dictionary, I’ll refrain from studying other subjects, such as Italian and Chinese, although English will remain an exception for now.

No comments: