Friday, September 15, 2023

What's Good for the Goose is Good for the Gander

Over the last few days, I’ve been watching the latest Netflix series “Who’s Erin Carter?”. The series revolves around the lives of a British woman named Erin Carter and her daughter, Harper, in Barcelona, Spain. One day, when they are shopping at a local supermarket, they encounter a robbery, where Erin somehow gets into a physical fight with one of the robbers. This starts a whole saga of bizarre incidents that turn their lives upside down. But that’s not all - it turns out that Erin and Harper have a complicated past, as it becomes clear in the ensuing episodes.

As of last night, I’ve watched five out of the seven episodes that comprise this series. While I find the story a bit too ridiculous, it is action-packed and undeniably gripping and entertaining, so I think I’ll watch the remaining two episodes. Since I’m flying to Japan tonight for vacation, maybe I can watch them on the plane to Tokyo to make the flight time pass more quickly.


By the way, as this story involves a British expat community in Barcelona, most of the dialogues are in British English, with a few lines in Spanish and Catalan interspersed here and there. One thing I like about Netflix is that they have numerous British shows in their lineup as well as American ones, providing me with ample opportunities to train my ear to comprehend both variations of English.


While the two accents sound very different from each other, once you get enough exposure, you will soon get used to both of them, to the point where you stop caring whether it’s British or American. As the saying goes, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander, so even if you watch a British show, it can still help you enhance your knowledge of American English, and vice versa.


Ultimately, what truly matters is that a show has interesting content, so I’ll just keep an open mind and select whatever show that catches my fancy, regardless of whether it hails from Britain or America.

No comments: